For the first time ever, the Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia is inviting a diverse group of goal-oriented (and fun-loving!) 9th and 10th graders from throughout Greater Philadelphia to raise and allocate funds to solve real community issues. Along the way, participants will learn more about Jewish values, and what it really means to be a leader.
The Teen Giving Project will meet approximately eight Sundays between November 2016 and May 2017. The program costs $360 per teen, a portion of which will be allocated as part of the grants process; participants can apply for full or partial scholarships.
9th and 10th graders for the 2016-17 school year are welcome to apply, or parents and teachers can nominate students. Applications will be accepted from August 23 to October 7, 2016.
Students -- click here to apply
Parents and teachers -- click here to nominate a student(s)
Teen Giving Project participants will:
- Be in 9th or 10th grade during the 2016-17 school year.
- Reside in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery or Philadelphia county.
- Demonstrate passion about community involvement and social justice.
- Be mature, articulate and authentic.
- Stand out among their peers as leaders.
- Share their experiences with their classes, youth groups, congregations and the broader Jewish community.
- Take responsibility for raising and distributing funds.
- Attend all meetings and events.
- Fulfill the $360 program fee.
- Teaching teens the importance of giving and why it is a Jewish value.
- Exposing teens to the needs of our community, both Jewish and non-Jewish.
- Developing young community leaders who feel invested in their community.
- Creating lifelong Jewish engagement among the teens.
- Connecting students to additional Jewish resources in the community.
- Providing Jewish self-authorship.
- Empowering students to “to act Jewishly and give globally.”
- Connecting teens to one another to broaden their networks.
- Sunday, November 6, 2016 - Teen Philanthropy: Kick-Off
- Sunday, December 4, 2016 - Teen Philanthropy Session #1 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, January 8, 2017 - Teen Philanthropy Session #2 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, January 29, 2017 - Teen Philanthropy Session #3 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, February 12, 2017 - Teen Philanthropy Session #4: Super Sunday and More!
- Sunday, March 5, 2017 - Teen Philanthropy Session #5 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, April 2, 2017 - Teen Philanthropy Session #6 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, May 7, 2017 - Teen Philanthropy: Granting Celebration Event
For more information contact Trisha Swed at tswed@Jewishphilly.org or (215) 832-0516.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia’s Teen Giving Project is an initiative of the Foundation Board Incubator is a project of the Jewish Teen Funders Network, generously funded by Laura Lauder and the Maimonides Fund.