The mission of Jewish Federation’s Center for Jewish Life and Learning is to support and facilitate a culturally vibrant Jewish community in Greater Philadelphia by working closely with community partners on creating and sustaining effective, dynamic, transformative and collaborative programs. The programs we support focus on leadership training, engaging families with children and supporting Jewish education.
Why the Center’s work is critical
- The 2009 Jewish Population Study of Greater Philadelphia reported a 16% decline in the number of Jewish children in the region – so it is more essential than ever to make sure that every Jewish child has an opportunity to participate in formal and informal Jewish educational experiences.
- The intermarriage rate of respondents in Greater Philadelphia 40 years and younger is now 45%, a figure that requires the Jewish community to rethink how it reaches out to the unaffiliated and to encourage the building of Jewish families.
- Fostering Jewish education through support for Jewish day and supplementary schools
- Supporting educational and networking opportunities for Jewish college students and adults
- Strengthening Greater Philadelphia’s Jewish community-building initiatives
- Enhancing Jewish identity through camps and youth programs